Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Asian Cultures on Mystaraby Håvard
Based on some previous discussions about "Oriental" cultures on Mystara I decided to provide an overview of the existing material.
- Empire of the Great Khan (Skothar): Perhaps it has been retconned away or possibly simply changed to the "Empire of the Horselords" and a Jennite-like culture, but the possibility of a Mongol-inspired culture on Skothar does exist.
- Ethengar (Brun): Based on Mongols
- Thunder Rift (Brun): The Rakasta of Thunder Rift have a Japanese-inspired culture. Fan material suggests they are refugees from Myoshima.
- Savage Coast (Brun): In the AD&D line, some of the Rakasta here too use Japanese style weapons, while the overall culture of Bellayne is Elizabethan. More contact with Myoshima?
- Ochalea (Sea of Dread): Chinese inspired culture
- Yasuko (Davanian): Unknown, but probably based on Ancient Japan. Tribal colonies. An Ochaelan colony?
- Shajapur (Hollow World): Based on India
- Sind (Brun): Based on India
- Myoshima (Moon of Patera): Rakasta nation based on Feudal Japan.
- Surabayang (Moon of Patera): Based on South East Asia
- Malacayog (Moon of Patera): Based on South East Asia
- Kompor-Thap (Moon of Patera): Based on South East Asia
- Rajahstan (Moon of Patera): Based on South East Asia
- Selimpore (Moon of Patera): Based on South East Asia
Middle Eastern Cultures
- Ylaruam (Brun): Based on Arabian Nights
- Hule (Brun): Hule is likely inspired by Turkey or Persia
- Great Waste (Brun): The Nomads of the Great Waste are of an Arabic culture.
- Nithia (Hollow World): Ancient Egypt, formerly on Brun.
- Thothia (Isle of Dawn): Ancient Egypt
- Lost Valley of Hutaaka (Brun): Ancient Egypt
- Hutaakan Valley (Hollow World): Ancient Egypt
Did I forget any? Compared to the European inspired parts of Mystara, the Asian inspired regions are still a minority. More fanon cultures have been added to Myoshima, but there seems to be a reluctance to add more Asian cultures to Mystara itself. The old M-Orient project went the other way and added many Asian cultures to Skothar, but it seems now that they may have gone too far and that many have chosen not to adopt those works fully.OTOH is it really fair to keep Asian cultures out of Mystara?