Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Axial Tilt of Mystaraby Thorfinn Tait
Issue Resolved: arbitrary axial tilt of 24 degrees adopted.
- Large volume of evidence for there being a tilt (seasons, explicit references in the timeline, etc).
- No official source defines the axial tilt.
- Similarity to real world earth suggests adoption of similar axial tilt.
- Real world axial tilt is not stable but varies between roughly 22-24.5 degrees.
- Most arctic and antarctic areas of Mystara fall within polar openings.
- Polar lip likely begins between 62 and 66 degrees.
- It seems preferable to have the arctic circles before the polar lips begin.
Therefore the Atlas has settled on an axial tilt of 24 degrees. This places the arctic circles at 66 degrees, which is the exact point where the polar lips start according to current theories.
Sunlight with an Axial Tilt of 24 degrees on sunlight, with polar lip beginning at 66º
Sunlight with an Axial Tilt of 23 degrees, the same as earth
Sunlight with an Axial Tilt of 37.5 degrees, as marked on the Precataclysmic Map