Atlas   Rules   Resources   Adventures   Stories       FAQ   Search   Links

Man; Buccaneer/ Pirate

by Jamie Baty

RC 193
1st Level Human Fighter
Medium-size Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 1d10+2 (7 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 leather armour), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Cutlass +3 melee (1d6 +1) (or Light Crossbow +3 range (1d8))
Full Attack: As Attack
Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: ---
Special Qualities: ---
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +3, Climb +3, Intimidate +1, Jump +2, Profession (Sailor) +2, Spot +2, Swim +2
Feats: Dodge, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Cutlass)
Environment: Any Aquatic
Organisation: based on ship type: 1-8 river boats (10-20 per ship), 1-6 galleys (20-40 per ship), 1-4 longships (30-50 per ship), and 1-3 warships (40-80 per ship). See below for additional information.
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Any non-good Neutral or Chaotic
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: -

Buccaneers are found on seas, rivers, great lakes and oceans. They live by raising coastal towns and capturing ships, selling the booty elsewhere.
Pirates are seagoing men who plunder other vessels, raid coastal towns and engage in the slave trades. They are noted for their evil acts and cruelty towards prisoners. They freely attack each other if there is a chance for profit.
Well-defended coastal towns often serve as havens for pirates and buccaneers. These are law-less and dangerous places, full of adventure.
The buccaneer presented above is a human with the base stats of Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. Buccaneers and pirates are usually of the same race as the dominant race in an area. However, the operational range of pirates and buccaneers is large, so any race or nationality may make up the members of a crew.

Buccaneers and pirates will soften their foes with missile fire from crossbows and ship-mounted artillery at the start of any engagement. Once foes are sufficiently weakened and unable to flee, they will swarm their foes, killing any who resist.
Of the two, pirates have a reputation for cruelty in addition to their covetousness that terrifies any whom sail the seas. Buccaneers fight more for the plunder, and while to be avoided, they do not have the cruel reputation of pirates.
Buccaneers and pirates, when faced with tough enemies, will usually flee in order "to live to fight another day."
Buccaneers and pirates, although proficient with all simple and martial weapons and all armours and shields, prefer light armour that doesn't interfere with running a ship or become a death-trap if knocked overboard. Similarly, they like small and light weapons that can be used in close quarters.

Buccaneers and pirates are usually low level fighters, with the occasional barbarian, commoner, ranger, rogue and warrior mixed in. 90% of buccaneers and 85% of pirates are armed with cutlasses and leather armour. One third of those men are also armed with a light crossbow. The remaining 10% of buccaneers are armed with a chain shirt, cutlass and heavy crossbow. The remaining 15% of pirates are armed with chain shirts and cutlasses.

For every 30 buccaneers, there is a 4th level fighter that serves as a leader. He will be armed in a similar fashion to the men under him.

Every buccaneer ship has a 7th level fighter as a captain, and the entire buccaneer fleet is commanded by a 9th level or higher fighter. There is a 30% chance the fleet has a 10th-11th level wizard attached to the commander, and there is a 25% chance a 8th level cleric is present.

For every 30 pirates, there is a 4th level fighter acting as a leader. He will be armed in a similar fashion to the men under him.

For every pirate ship, there is a 5th level fighter acting as the captain, and the entire fleet is commanded by an 8th level fighter. If the fleet has more than 300 men in it, it is commanded by a Pirate Lord, an 11th level fighter. There is a 75% chance a Pirate Lord will have a 9th-10th level wizard working for him. There is a 25% chance that the fleet commander or Pirate Lord will have 1d3 prisoners with him, awaiting ransom or sale into slavery.

Buccaneer and pirate ship captains and the fleet commanders often dress richly and flamboyantly, and will have suitably flamboyant arms, armour and magic items at their disposal. Any wizards and clerics will likely be quite wealthy (and well-equipped) as well.

Although the standard class for ship captains and fleet commanders is fighter, almost any class can achieve this rank. Rank is determined largely by who is the strongest, able to run a ship and able to secure booty. Some of these leaders (and attached spellcasters) may possess levels in the following prestige classes: dread pirate, legendary captain, scarlet corsair, and sea witch.