Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Callarii Elven Racial Traitsby David S. Leland
· +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence: The Callarii are just as agile and graceful as other elves, but are comparatively robust and healthy, and suffer no penalty to Constitution. On the other hand, Callarii education focuses on physical and intuitive skills at the expense of pure knowledge and reasoning skills. They are not less intelligent by nature, but are trained to be shrewd fighters, not great thinkers. While the Callarii are somewhat anti-intellectual, they are too easy-going to be disdainful or snobbish towards wizards, scholars and the like. Rather, they view intellectuals and their pursuits at worst with amusement and at best with a superficial curiosity.
· Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Elven base speed is 30 feet.
· Class restrictions: All Callarii elves, even non-adventurers, are trained in youth to wield bow, sword, and spell, becoming multi-classed apprentice fighter/sorcerers at 1st level (most choose fighter as the primary apprentice class). Adventuring Callarii become level 1/1 fighter/sorcerers at 2nd level, and afterwards may advance in either or both classes at any rate without penalty. Most progress in both classes with emphasis on the fighter class. A few are satisfied with their 1 level of sorcery and advance as fighters exclusively thereafter. The rare mage-equivalents of the Callarii do the reverse, studying elven sorcery preferentially or exclusively after completing their 1 level of fighting. No other classes are open to the Callarii.
· Class skills: Rather than the standard fighter and sorcerer class skills, the following are class skills for Callarii regardless of which of the two classes they advance in: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Spot, Swim, Wilderness Lore.
· Low-light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks: An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for the door. An elf's senses are so keen that she practically has a sixth sense about hidden portals.
· -2 racial penalty on saves versus spells and attacks that stun, blind, deafen, or cause damage via visual or auditory over stimulation: The drawback of elves' keen senses is that they are more vulnerable to sensations that are so intense as to be harmful. This includes spells such as colour spray, sunbeam, sound burst and shout but not spells like blindness/deafness, power word blind, and power word stun, which do not work by overloading the senses.
· Slow Natural Healing: One drawback of elves' great lifespan is that just as it takes a long time for their bodies to mature and to grow old, it takes a lot of time to heal. Elves recover 1/2 hp per character level per day of rest if they engage in light, non-strenuous travel or activity, or 1 full hp per character level per day if they do nothing but get complete bed rest (for other PC races it is 1 hp and 11/2 hp, respectively). For instance, a wounded 1st level elf requires 2 days of rest to regain 1 hp, or only 1 day if she does nothing but rest. Combat or spellcasting prevents any healing for a given day. Temporary ability damage heals at the rate of 1 point for every 2 days of rest, or 1 point for each day of complete bed rest (half the rate of other PC races). Elves benefit from magical healing normally.
· No scrolls: Callarii do not have access to the Scribe Scroll feat and can not use arcane scrolls despite being sorcerers. They can decipher scrolls with read magic or a Spellcraft check if they purchase one or more ranks, but cannot cast from them. Callarii create and prefer to use magic items that are easy to use in combat, certainly not spell completion items like scrolls.
· +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears): The Callarii are trained in special combat techniques to allow them to fight their traditional enemies more effectively.
· +2 racial bonus to Ride checks, no penalty for bareback riding: Callarii learn to ride horses without a saddle or stirrups (just a bridle), and do not suffer the normal 5 bareback penalty to Ride checks when doing so.
· Automatic Languages: Elven (Callarii dialect) and either Thyatian or Traladaran; Other Language Options: Thyatian, Traladaran, Goblin, Fairy, Orc, Gnome. For centuries, all Callarii have spoken Elven and Traladaran, but now that the Thyatians seem to be "in charge" of human affairs, some younger elves place a higher priority on learning Thyatian as their human tongue (especially those who aspire to join the Duke's Elvenguard). Callarii selecting extra languages (due to high intelligence or skill purchase) choose from among the languages of their traditional enemies, demihuman neighbours, and whichever human language they did not pick as automatic.
· Preferred occupational skills: Craft (armoursmithing, boat building, bow making, leatherworking, weaponsmithing), Profession (boating) · Preferred weapons: long sword, dagger, and longbow · Regional Feat: BOAT EXPERT [General -- Regional Callarii]
You have a knack for boats, and are skilled in building, piloting, buying, and selling them.
Prerequisites: One rank in Craft (boat building) and one rank in Profession (boating).
Benefit: You get a +2 to Craft (boat building) skill checks, Profession (boating) skill checks, and Appraise checks involving boats.
Dancing Lights. Figment torches or other lights.
Daze. Creature loses next action.
Detect Magic. Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Detect Poison. Detects poison in one creature or small object.
Flare. Dazzles one creature (-1 attack).
Ghost Sound. Figment sounds.
Light. Object shines like a torch.
Mending. Makes minor repairs on an object.
Read Magic. Read scrolls and spellbooks.
Resistance. Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
Alarm. Wards an area for 2 hours/level.
Animal Friendship. Gains permanent animal companions.
Calm Animals. Calms 2d4 +1/level HD of animals, beasts, and magical beasts.
Cause Fear. One creature flees for 1d4 rounds.
Detect Animals or Plants. Detects species of animals or plants.
Endure Elements. Ignores 5 damage/round from one energy type.
Entangle. Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft.-radius circle.
Expeditious Retreat. Doubles your speed.
Faerie Fire. Outlines subjects with light, cancelling blur, concealment, etc.
Jump. Subject gets +30 on Jump checks.
Mage Armour. Gives subject +4 armour bonus.
Magic Missile. 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile/two levels above 1st (max +5).
Magic Weapon. Weapon gains a +1 bonus.
Message. Whispered conversation at a distance.
Obscuring Mist. Fog surrounds you.
Pass Without Trace. One subject/level leaves no tracks.
Silent Image. Creates minor illusion of your design.
Sleep. Put 2d4 HD of creatures into comatose slumber.
Summon Nature's Ally I. Calls animal to fight for you.
True Strike. Adds +20 bonus to your next attack roll.
Ventriloquism. Throws voice for 1 min./level.
Animal Messenger. Sends a Tiny animal to a specific place.
Blur. Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
Bull's Strength. Subject gains 1d4+1 Str for 1 hr./level.
Cat's Grace. Subject gains 1d4+1 Dex for 1 hr./level.
Cure Light Wounds. Cures 1d8 + 1/level damage (max +5).
Daylight. 60-ft radius of bright light.
Delay Poison. Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
Endurance. Subject gains 1d4+1 Con for 1 hr./level.
Fog Cloud. Fog obscures vision.
Invisibility. Subject is invisible for 10 min./level or until it attacks.
Melf's Acid Arrow. Ranged touch attack; 2d4 damage for 1 round + 1 round/three levels.
Minor Image. As silent image, plus some sound.
Mirror Image. Creates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 + 1/three levels, max 8).
Protection from Arrows. Subject immune to most ranged attacks.
Resist Elements. Ignores 12 damage/round from one energy type.
Scare. Panics creatures up to 5 HD (15-ft. radius).
See Invisibility. Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
Silence. Negates sound on one creature or in 15-ft. radius.
Speak with Animals. You can communicate with natural animals.
Summon Nature's Ally II. Calls animal to fight for you.
Summon Swarm. Summons swarm of small crawling or flying creatures.
Warp Wood. Bends wood (shaft, handle, door, plank).
Web. Fills 10-ft. cube/level with sticky spider webs.
Blink. You randomly vanish and reappear for 1 round/level.
Cure Moderate Wounds. Cures 2d8 +1/level damage (max +10).
Dispel Magic. Cancels magical spells and effects.
Displacement. Attacks miss subject 50%.
Fly. Subject flies at speed of 90.
Greater Magic Weapon. +1 bonus/three levels (max +5).
Gust of Wind. Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures.
Haste. Extra partial action and +4 AC.
Hold Person. Holds one person helpless; 1 round/level.
Invisibility Sphere. Makes everyone within 10 ft. invisible.
Keen Edge. Doubles normal weapon's threat range.
Major Image. As silent image, plus sound, smell, and thermal effects.
Neutralise Poison. Detoxifies venom in or on subject.
Protection from Elements. Absorb 12 damage/level from one kind of energy.
Slow. One subject/level takes only partial actions, -2 AC, -2 melee rolls.
Speak with Plants. You can talk to normal plants and plant creatures.
Summon Nature's Ally III. Calls animal to fight for you.
Antiplant Shell. Keeps animated plants at bay.
Confusion. Makes subject behave oddly for 1 round/level.
Control Plants. Talk to and control plants and fungi.
Cure Serious Wounds. Cures 3d8 + 1/level damage (max +15).
Dimension Door. Teleports you and up to 500 lbs.
Fear. Subjects within cone flee for 1 round/level.
Freedom of Movement. Subject moves normally despite impediments.
Giant Vermin. Turns insects into giant vermin.
Hallucinatory Terrain. Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, etc.).
Hold Monster. As hold person, but any creature.
Improved Invisibility. As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
Locate Creature. Indicates direction to familiar creature.
Polymorph Self. You assume a new form.
Quench. Extinguishes non-magical fires or one fire magic item.
Repel Vermin. Insects stay 10 ft. away.
Solid Fog. Blocks vision and slows movement.
Summon Nature's Ally IV. Calls animal to fight for you.