Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
The forgotten history of Dwarvesby Sean Meaney
Rockhome Dwarven has a number of words in common use that can be divided into Old Dwarven and Modern Dwarven. Consider the word Evedotar (Clan Head). This can be considered a modern Dwarf concept. Eve (High) - Dotar (Family Head). Then there is proto-Dwarven where Dotar divides further: Do (an undefined/extinct word though D and O exist individually as Dwarf Name Prefix) - Tar (Beard). Do could be a reduced form of Dor meaning Wondrous/Impressive. So Clan head might have originally refered to a specific Dwarf (Do High-Beard), or it might be originally Eve-dor-tar (High Wondrous Beard).
Dwarf English Ats Axe Bahr Sun Bal Tan Barr Yellow/Blonde Belf Noisy Bif Nimble Blys Blood/Red Bof Stout/Husky Bol Crater/Hole Bomb Huge/Fat Buhr Fire Buhrad Gold Dal Valley Dar War-chief/Sergeant Den Stone/Rock Dor Impressive/Wondrous Dorf Slow/Ponderous Dotar Parent/Family head Dul Low/Deep Dulgardar Governor/Mayor Dwal Hill/Hillock Dwarf Dwarf Eft Top/Mountain-top Est Eye Eve High Evedar Captain Evedotar Clan head Far Wrecker/Ruiner Fil Dusk Fotar Father Ful West/Western Gar Home Gardar King Garr Safe Gil Noon Glo Big Gon Bigger Gor Biggest Ghyr Solid/Sound/Thick Hra Green Hrak Chain/Shackles Hraken Convict/Prisoner Hrap Frog Hrodar Games/Competition Hrokar Dangerous/Treacherous/Shifting Hruk Granite Hrum Sloping/Slanted Hur Cave Hurgon Cavern Hwyr Bellows/the wind Jhyr Orange Colour Kagyar Immortal patron of dwarves Karats Great-axe/Battle Axe Karodar Battle/War Karr Death/Name of Immortal Thanatos Ker Tooth/Fang Klint Shining/Flashing/Fiery Klist Sparkling/Flashing/Icy Kon Dawn Kor Gray Kres Teeth/Fangs Krey Speaker/Senator Kroten Slung/Worn on back Kuld North/Northern Kur Black Larodar Wandering/Meandering Larodin Minister Lhyn Straight/Flat/Linear Lhyr Smooth Lin Moon/Month Mak Broken/Ruined Motar Mother Mor Pond Mur Lake Na Cutting with an edge Nar Cut/Incision/Wound No Clever/Sharp mind Nor Cut/Damaged Norden Jagged/Notched Or Gravel Puhn Hammer Pyr Purple Rad Iron Radas Marble Rak Citadel/Castle/Fortress Rasdar General (noun) Rast Mountain Rutar Hand Sann East/Eastern Sar South/Southern Sarkrey Ambassador Shyld Shield Skyr Forge/Smithy Smag Smoke/Smokey Stahl Blue (Specific) Styr Blue (in general) Syhar Moon Syr Silver/White Syth Quiet Tar Beard Thor Variant of Tor Thra Glassy-Smooth/Mannered personality Thro Oily smooth/coniving personality Tor Strong/Enduring/Hard/Hardened Tordar Nobleman Toren Worker Torrad Steel/Hardened Iron Warf From/Born from/Made of Whar Pitiless Wyr Empty/Hollow/Hungry
Unexplored Dwarven History
First Age: First Clan Chief
1. Do High-beard is the first Dwarven Clan-Chief (hence the word Eve+do+tar meaning clan head).
Second Age: Rise of the Warlords
2. Hro is a warchief who introduced a competition (games) for entertainment; and apparently these turned out to be dangerous (Hro+kar). Its possible Hro was under the influence of Thanatos (Karr meaning Death/Thanatos) and seeking to create cultural decay amongst the Dwarves.
3. Tor is a Powerful Dwarven Warchief (Tor+dar meaning Nobleman).
4. The first Warchief to be declared King assumes the title Gardar (Home-Warchief).
5. Deep-Home is an ancient Dwarven city conquered by the First Dwarven Warchief to become Governor (Dul+gar+dar meaning Governor).
5. A Speaker known as Krey from a southern land known as the Sar is the First Ambassador to an early Dwarven people (Sar+krey means Ambassador).
Rak (citadel) Rak was a specific location. The First citadel to bear the name.
Torrad means Hardened Iron (Tor+rad) though it is used to refer to Steel as well.
Caves, Caverns, the hollow world, and the Universe
Hur means Cave.
Hur+glo(big) means big cave.
Hur+gon(bigger) means bigger cave (cavern).
Hur+gor(biggest) would mean biggest cave (hollow world/universe).