Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Elemental of Chaosby Ivan Chia
While the forces of order and disorder usually have little to do with the Inner Planes, exceptions do occur. The elementals of chaos are natives of the four elemental planes, somehow touched with the essence of Limbo. Some sages suggest that they resulted from a slaad lord's visit to the Elemental Planes. There are four known types of elemental of chaos, one for each true element. Each of these pursues its own interests vigorously with little care for order on either its home plane or the Prime Material.
Eolians of Air appear as shifting wind-beings that look like heat shimmers, although they are actually cool and solid. Chaotic to the extreme, they help planewalkers if the mood strikes them, although they later may get the urge to betray or even harm their "friends". Eolians count anemos and krysts as their natural enemies, as well as the highly regimented horde.
Erdeens of Earth are lumpy rock beings with long veins of metal and ore running throughout their bodies. Fascinated by the chaotic instability of earth, these elementals feel amazed that so many creatures view it as a stable element. Erdeens have been known to trap adventurers underground and engage them in bizarre discussions about the nature of reality. They consider galeb duhr, hydrax, and hordes as their enemies, and greatly fear air-based creatures.
Pyrophors of Fire, with their eerily shifting features, appear as flickering coals, with fingers of flame that periodically flare out. Perhaps the most evil of the elementals, they revel in the destructive powers of fire, maliciously bathing the Prime Material Plane in "purifying" flame whenever they get the chance. They hate water elementals, and enjoy bothering the lawful helions.
Undines of Water normally look like featureless, transparent snakes, shape-shifting easily, sometimes adopting a form with many tentacles to handle objects. These solitary creatures possess a philosophy similar to that of djinn - to aid those whom they consider worthy. Little is known of the undines' social structure or ultimate goals, if they have any at all. They hate the helions and hordes.
SAMPLE ELEMENTAL OF CHAOS
Huge Elemental (Chaotic, Fire, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 16d8+64 (136 hp)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-2 size, +7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+24
Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d8+4 plus 2d8 fire)
Full Attack: 2 slams +17 melee (2d8+4 plus 2d8 fire)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Burn, smite law 1/day, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, immunity to fire, magic immunity, see invisible, spell resistance 18, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +17, Will +7
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 25, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Concentration +13, Listen +22, Spot +22
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative (B), Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Elemental Plane of Fire
Challenge Rating: 9
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 17-20 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -
This fire elemental appears as flickering coals, with fingers of flame that periodically flare out.
This sample pyrophor is based on a Huge fire elemental. As such, it cannot enter water or any other nonflammable liquid. A body of water is an impassible barrier unless the pyrophor can step or jump over it. Pyrophors speak Ignan, though they rarely choose to do so.
A pyrophor is a fierce opponent that attacks its enemies directly and savagely. It takes joy in burning the creatures and objects of the Material Plane to ashes.
Its natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Burn (Ex): A fire elemental's slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental's flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental's slam attack also must succeed on a DC 22 Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental's attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save. The save DC is Constitution- based.
Magic Immunity (Ex): An elemental of chaos is immune to spells of 2nd or lower level that allow spell resistance. It is likewise immune to all spells with fire descriptor that allow spell resistance, regardless of spell level.
See Invisible (Su): An elemental of chaos can see invisible creatures and objects as if continually under the effect of the see invisibility spell.
Smite Law (Su): Once per day, this elemental of chaos can make a normal attack to deal an extra +16 damage against a lawful opponent.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - burning hands (DC 11), detect law, detect magic, dispel magic, flaming sphere (DC 12); 1/day - chaos hammer (DC 14), fire storm (DC 18). Caster level 8th.
CREATING AN ELEMENTAL OF CHAOS
An Elemental of Chaos is an inherited template which can be added to any air, earth, fire, or water elemental of Large or greater size, hereafter referred to as the base creature. An elemental of chaos uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here.
Type: As base creature (elemental). It also gains chaotic subtype.
Special Attacks: An elemental of chaos retains all the special attacks of the base creature, and also gains smite law and spell-like abilities. An air elemental of chaos also has the suffocate special attack. A water elemental of chaos has improved grab and constrict special attacks.
• Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a water elemental of chaos (undine) can constrict to deal bludgeoning damage equals to its normal slam damage.
• Improved Grab (Ex): A water elemental of chaos (undine) can automatically grapple a creature hit by its slam attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. The water elemental does this by coiling itself around the victim. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.
• Smite Law (Su): Once per day, an elemental of chaos can make a normal attack to deal extra damage equal to its Hit Dice (max +20) against a lawful opponent.
• Spell-like Abilities: All elementals of chaos gain lesser spell-like abilities, which are all useable 3/day. Elementals with 16+ HD also gain greater spell-like abilities, which are useable 1/day. Caster level equals 1/2 the elemental's Hit Dice. Save DCs are Charisma-based.
• Suffocate (Ex): An air elemental of chaos can attempt to plunge part of its wavering body into the lungs of a foe as a standard action. This requires a grapple check which does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If successful, the victim must make a Constitution check against DC 10. If the check fails, he becomes unconscious (0 hp). If the eolian maintains the grapple, the victim starts dying (-1 hp) on the next round and is dead on the round after. The DC of the Constitution check is increased by +1 for each previous consecutive round of suffocation.
Special Qualities: An elemental of chaos retains all special qualities of the base creature, and gains magic immunity, see invisible, and spell resistance. A water elemental of chaos also gains regeneration.
• Magic Immunity (Ex): An elemental of chaos is immune to spells of 2nd or lower level that allow spell resistance. It is likewise immune to all spells with the respective elemental descriptor that allow spell resistance, regardless of spell level.
• Regeneration (Ex): A water elemental of chaos regenerates 5 hit points of nonlethal damage per round. It takes normal damage only from fire. It can regenerate only in water.
• See Invisible (Su): An elemental of chaos can see invisible creatures and objects as if continually under the effect of the see invisibility spell.
• Spell Resistance (Su): An elemental of chaos has spell resistance equal to its Hit Dice +2.
Abilities: As base creature, except Int +6.
Skills: Recalculate skill points due to increased intelligence.
Challenge Rating: As base creature +2.
Treasure: Double gems (earth elemental of chaos); or none (air, fire, and water elemental of chaos).
Alignment: Always any chaotic. Fire elementals of chaos are usually evil, and water elemental of chaos are usually good.
SPELL-LIKE ABILITIES BY ELEMENT OF CHAOS
Element Lesser Abilities 3/day Greater Abilities 1/day Air detect law, detect magic, dispel magic, stinking cloud chaos hammer, control winds, cloudkill Earth detect law, detect magic, dispel magic, magic stone, stone shape chaos hammer, earthquake, transmute rock to mud Fire burning hands, detect law, detect magic, dispel magic, flaming sphere chaos hammer, fire storm Water detect law, detect magic, dispel magic, obscuring mist chaos hammer, cone of cold, control water