Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Faenare Race and Racial Progressionby Jamie Baty
The faenare are a race of elf-like bird people. They are an old race, kin to both the elves and the Faedorne of the Shining Isles. Although they are seclusive and insular, they possess a gift for singing and telling tales. They lead a peaceful and unburdened life amongst their nests and clans.
Personality: Faenare are a seclusive race, shunning and mistrusting outsiders. Most are content with this existence, still bearing the scars of the shadow elf treachery long ago. As a result, many outsiders believe the race is long dead, and those that do encounter them believe them to be aloof, arrogant, or rude. Faenare are rarely violent with outsiders unless they are being attacked- even then they will usually flee rather than fight.
However, there is a side that outsiders do not see. It is the side that enjoys the sight of their young at play in the wind currents, teasing the elders and flying with giant eagles. The faenare love to sing stories and weave tales over their stoneberry wine (a delicious light, sweet and bubbly beverage.) Their tales are captivating, singing of joys and follies, pranks and jests, misunderstandings and confusions. Should an outsider be able to join them, he might think he had stumbled into a tavern in the Shires.
The faenare are best described by the words of Alexene Cloudmantle "We are a people of song and air, little burdened by material things... Our life is in song, a breath of life handed down from one generation to the next. With this, we are more than happy."
Physical Description: Faenare are tall (most are 6ft to 6 1/2ft tall) humanoids, with winged arms and crests of feathers on their heads, backs, abdomens, and calves. Their eyes are large and bird-like, set in a facial structure otherwise like that of elves. pointed ears nestle below head feathers. They have tawny feathers streaked with amber or gold, although older birdfolk have many streaks of white and grey in their plumage.
Other than simple harnesses for carrying tools and belongings, faenare have no need of clothing and do not wear it. They can wear armour, but it is detrimental to their flying abilities.
Relations: Faenare believe they are distantly related to the elves and the Faedorne. Although they have rare dealings with the elves, they are friendly to those they encounter. They believe the shadow elves betrayed and murdered many of the faenare mastersingers, and have not forgotten that treachery.
Faenare are very mistrustful of humans and humanoids in general and avoid them if possible. They maintain strong relations with avian creatures such as giant eagles and rocs.
Alignment: Faenare tend to be Lawful, Neutral, or Good. Chaotic faenare are tolerated, but evil faenare are viewed as a threat to nest and clan. The race's seclusion means each individual's actions can have profound repercussions, so Chaotic and/or Evil faenare are viewed with much suspicion.
Faenare Lands: The faenare inhabit wild and desolate mountainous regions, scattered across the Known World. The Broken Lands are home to the highest number, but even there, they are very rare. They favour areas that are unreachable by surface-dwellers. The flying city of Serraine probably has the greatest number of them concentrated in one place outside of the Broken Lands.
Religion: Faenare revere an elven Immortal known to them only as the Mother. Most believe that at some point, all of the faenare Windsingers will spin their music together, and the Mother will arrive to take them to the Shining Isles.
Faenare adventurers are often also drawn to some of the natural Immortals such as Terra and Ordana. Those that don't follow a specific Immortal choose two of the following domains: Air, Knowledge, or Protection.
Language: Faenare speak both Common and Auran. They are also capable of speaking birdsong with other avian creatures. Those able to often learn Draconic, Elf, Gnome, Sylvan, and other Local languages
Names: Faenare names tend to be melodic. Surnames evoke imagery of the sky or other serene and melodic concepts.
Male Names: Mercurio, Roland, Sirius
Female Names: Alexene, Flora, Rosario, Thimbelle
Surnames: Cloudwalker, Rainsinger, Windsailor
Adventurers: Faenare adventurers often seek to know and understand the greater world around them. Some chaff under their race's seclusion. Some want to better understand the other inhabitants of Mystara, both to help protect their clans and to broaden their horizons.
The faenare refer to those that leave to adventure as "wind-haunted", believing they hear a song in their minds at night that drives them to find its source. Faenare adults encourage these wind-haunted souls to seek the song in order to be at peace. It also is believed that these wind-haunted are part of the Mother's plan by helping their insular race better understand the world around them. Faenare adventurers must often come to a spiritual place where they can balance the violence that often follows adventurers with their race's inherent non-aggressiveness.
Faenare Racial Traits:
• Medium size.
• A faenare's base land speed is 30 feet. They may also fly at a base speed of 40ft (average).
• Racial Hit Dice: A faenare begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort+0, Ref+3, Will+0.
• Racial Skills: A faenare's humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Diplomacy, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Perform (Sing), Spot, and Survival.
• Faenare receive a +2 racial bonus to all Spot and Perform (Sing) skill checks. Spot and Perform (Sing) is always class skills for a faenare.
• Racial Feats: A faenare's humanoid levels give it one feat.
• Weapon proficiency: A faenare is proficient with slings, shortswords, longswords, daggers, knives, bolas, shortbows and longbows.
• +3 natural armour bonus.
• Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4)
• Slinger (Ex): Faenare are gifted at the use of a sling. A faenare has a +1 racial bonus to all attack and damage rolls with a sling.
• Armour Aversion (Ex): Faenare wearing armour can only fly with a speed of 20ft (clumsy), and the skill check penalties increase by +2.
• Avian Affinity (Ex): Avian and avian -related creatures will not attack a faenare unless attacked first. In addition, a faenare can communicate with any normal bird using birdsong.
• Born of the Sky (Ex): A faenare receives a +2 bonus to all saves made against all air-based spells and attacks.
• Flight (Ex): A faenare is able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average manoeuvrability). A faenare can't fly while carrying a heavy load or while exhausted. Flying requires no more exertion than walking or running for a faenare.
A faenare with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the faenare must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A faenare can make a dive attack only when using its claws; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A faenare with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
• Immunity to Non-Magical Electricity (Ex): Faenare suffer no damage from non-magical electrical sources (i.e. lightning). Electrical damage from magical sources affects the faenare normally.
• Immunity to Harpy Charms (Ex): A faenare is immune to the charming abilities of harpies.
• Spell-like Abilities (Sp): 1/day: bless, know direction. CL 2, Wisdom based.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Auran. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elf, Gnome, Sylvan, Local languages
• Favoured Class: Bard or Druid
• Level Adjustment: +2.
Faenare Racial Progression
The table below gives an optional level progression for faenare players. In this system, starting ability score modifiers and other abilities are granted later or partially granted. At the end of the base progression, the faenare will be the same as if created normally. The optional advanced progression continues to develop faenare abilities rather than class abilities.
Table: Faenare Racial Progression
Class Level Hit Dice Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Special 1st 1d8 +0 +0 +2 +0 (6+ Int Mod) x4 Armour Aversion; Avian Affinity; Born of the Sky; Flight; 2 Claws (1d4); Faenare weapon proficiencies; Starting Feat. 2nd 1d8 +0 +0 +2 +0 --- Natural AC +1, Slinger; Immunity to Non-Magical Electricity; +2 bonus to Perform (Sing) checks 3rd 2d8 +1 +0 +3 +0 2 + Int Mod Natural AC +2; Immunity to Harpy Charms; +2 bonus to Spot checks 4th 2d8 +1 +0 +3 +0 --- Natural AC +3; 1/day: bless, know direction. Below are levels for advanced progression 5th 3d8 +2 +1 +3 +1 2 + Int Mod 1/day: bless, know direction, faerie fire; Feat 6th 4d8 +3 +1 +4 +1 2 + Int Mod Natural AC +4; 2/day: bless, know direction; 1/day: faerie fire, fog cloud. 7th 5d8 +3 +1 +4 +1 2 + Int Mod 2/day: bless, know direction; 1/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall. 8th 6d8 +4 +2 +5 +2 2 + Int Mod 3/day: bless, know direction; 2/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall; Feat 9th 7d8 +5 +2 +5 +2 2 + Int Mod Summon Eagles; 3/day: bless, know direction; 2/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall; 1/day: air walk, control winds.
Advanced Faenare Abilities
Summon Eagles (Sp): At 7 HD, 1/day a faenare may summon 2d4 normal eagles or 1d4 giant eagles to aid it. The eagles will protect the faenare and obey any orders, but will not follow any orders that will obviously lead to their death. The eagles will remain for up to 1 hour. The eagles will expect some token of gratitude for service (usually food will do).
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At 3 HD, 1/day: bless, know direction, faerie fire. CL 3, Wisdom based.
At 4 HD, 2/day: bless, know direction; 1/day: faerie fire, fog cloud. CL 4, Wisdom based.
At 5 HD, 2/day: bless, know direction; 1/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall. CL 5, Wisdom based.
At 6 HD, 3/day: bless, know direction; 2/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall. CL 6, Wisdom based.
At 7 HD, 3/day: bless, know direction; 2/day: faerie fire, fog cloud, wind wall; 1/day: air walk, control winds. CL 7, Wisdom based.