Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Fighters: High Level Optionsby Håvard
So, I've never been completely happy about the options offered in BECMI/RC for high level characters. I'm talking about the Prestigue-Class like subclasses you could choose between:
Fighter Options at 9th Level
- Land-Owning Fighter
Mainly I have two beefs with them:
1) I don't like that land-ownership is part of the equation. I like having Paladin and Avengers who are also land owners.
2) The Knight feels underpowered compared to the Paladin and Avenger.
All Fighters may now decide if they want to become land-owners or not. Regardless of that choice, they will be given the following options (more may be added later):
Fighter Options at 9th Level (Revised)
- Druidic Knight
- Eldritch Knight
CHAMPION (Any Alignment)
These fighters have no special affiliations to Immortals, Clerical/Druidic Orders. Instead they focus on weapons and combat training. They get no specific penalties and the following advantages:
KNIGHT (Must be Neutral)
- They gain two of the following general skills: Alertness, Blind-fighting, Danger sense or Leadership*.
*=Optional Rule: In addition to adding morale to NPCs as per the RC, a character with the Leadership skill may allow one allied player to reroll one die roll per combat and select the best result.
Knights swear fealty to a liege lord or master of a Chivalrous Order
- Request Sanctauary: As detailed in the RC
- Suit Armor Mastery: Knights recieve a Suit Armor by their liege lord and may ignore any of the disadvantages that come with wearing one. (New Ability)
- Gets the Riding Skill (select type) and a Warhorse (or other mount at the DM's option) with maximum HP.
Note: The Suit armor and Mount are recieved when the Knight first arrives at his Liege's. At the DM's choice, the Liege might require the knight to fetch these items at some hard to get to location. This might make for a fun quest.
AVENGERS (Must be Chaotic)
- Must respond to summons, Call to Arms and swear loyalty to liege as detailed in the RC.
As described in the RC.
PALADIN (Must be Lawful)
As described in the RC.
Druidic Knight (Must be Neutral)
As described in VotPA
Eldritch Knight (Any Alignment)
These fighters take up the study of magic user spells.
- May cast magic user spells as a magic-user of 1/3 of their level.
- May use magic user scrolls, staves, wands and rods
- In order to cast spells, the Eldritch Knight may not wear anything heavier than Chain mail and must have at least one hand free.