Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Nyra, Free Province ofby micky
Area: 1904 sq. miles
Ethnic Groups: Belcadizan human 20%, Thyatian 20%, Fen 20%, Alphatian 15%, Belcadizan Elf 15%, Others 10%
Towns/Villages: Nyra (1847) Administrative centre of the Free Province
Trintan (1516) Trintan is a commercial village whose lifeblood is trade and commerce.
Coslada (345) Coslada is approximately 32 miles due east of Fort Monteleone just south of the border with the Principality of
Belcadiz. Coslada is a major agricultural centre for the eastern part of the Free Province.
Albion (567) This Fenish village located in the hills to the east of Glantri City is a major mining village servicing the western slopes of the Colossus Mounts.
Government: Propraetor appointed by the Council of Princes, in charge for seven years. Seat in Nyra.
Ruler: Propraetor Thomas Paine (born 939, M6, AL- Neutral) Appointed in 1008
House: not aligned to any house. No ties to any houses.
Territory: The Free Province runs; from the southern suburbs of Glantri City in the north, to Trintan in the south and from the Vesubian River in the west, to the border of the Skullhorn Free Province in the east.
Trails: The main road of the Free Province is the main road of Glantri. The Taterhill-Trintan Expressway is the only paved road in Glantri. Running for most of its length within the Free Province it is the most important feature of the Free Province. It has been rated excellent by Glantrian AAA and is still passable even in the heaviest of rain with no threat of mud. It was estimated that 92% of all Glantrian imports and exports pass through Trintan. While there is robust use of the Vesubian River to move commerce, most trade still moves along the Expressway on horse and wagon. The Alexander Glantri Memorial Highway comes into the Free Province from the east and Bramyra and ends at Fort Tchernovodsk.
Economics: One of the main agricultural areas of Glantri. The area of the Vesubian Valley is fertile, well irrigated and with moderate temperatures throughout most of the year. The Vesubian River provides a bounty of fish, while the river valley provides fruits and vegetables of all sorts. Excess is exported throughout Glantri.
Notable People: Propraetor Thomas Paine is the highest ranked Fen in the Glantrian Government and one of the longest tenured members of the Glantrian government. He is also a legend in Bureaucratic circles at the capital, having trained and supervised nearly all the current Propraetors and many lesser positions. He is known for his no-nonsense approach and attention to detail. He is also well known for not suffering fools, even if they happen to be nobles. The assignment to the Nyra Free Province is his second posting here, having served as Propraetor from 985 to 999. He was assigned here from the Glantrian Embassy in Thyatis City in 1008 when the previous Propraetor, Claudio Faggoli the tempestuous and combative best friend of Paine, was killed in an ambush during Tharís invasion in 1007. It was reported by a witness that 5 Trolls came at Faggoli from the riverbank; he got four of them before the fifth got him. Paineís orders directly from the council have been to rebuild the shattered northern part of the Free Province. Much of that area was overrun with humanoids during Tharís siege of Glantri City. After six years he has shown remarkable progress in getting homes rebuilt, instituting a program called Habitat for Glantri. In which he lobbies wealthy patrons to donate for rebuilding (with all donations being a tax write-off of course) and rebuilds homes of those who lost them. The only cost to those who have their homes rebuilt, volunteering the time to help rebuild the homes of others. The program has been a smashing success. The Propraetor has even drawn refugees from other regions, especially Blackhill, which has done a great deal to bring the N.F.P almost back to where it was before Thar struck Glantri. The program has even made Paine more a legend in the eyes of all but the Wizard-Princes. He simply has their respect.
Albion was founded by Fen-folk soon after arrived in the Highlands through the portal that brought the Kaelic to Mystara from Laterre. The village is notable for itís ancient church dedicated to some lost immortal patron from their previous home on Laterre. After the Light of Rad other churches were torn down or made unrecognisable by new occupants. However this church was kept as a museum by the village council and is rumoured to contain a treasure trove of information about the Fenís history prior to arriving on Mystara. Unfortunately the guardians of this museum are very selective as to who they will allow to view those well preserved documents. Nobles can be, and almost always are refused, including a infamous incident in 946 when the Archduke of Westheath, Edelmiro Pieinants, was refused entry. That led to huge row which had to be settled by the Council of Princes when the Archduke assaulted the Propraetor of the N.F.P after the Propraetor sided with the Museumís guardians. The Archduke was reprimanded and policy was set that only a Prince of Glantri could enter the vaults without permission of the guardians of the museum. The museum aside the building is a favourite of architectural buffs and is a favourite subject for many artists to reproduce.
Trintan is a walled town on the Vesubian River on what used to be the border with the Broken Lands. With the enfeoffment of Kol and annexing of the Broken Lands in AC 1011 the town finally could relax from it's permanent state of military preparedness. Trintan was unsuccessfully besieged during Thar's invasion and the two reserve divisions caught within the town were successfully resupplied by wizards of the Belcadiz under the supervision of Princess Carnelia. Trintan is a major commercial centre and still, even though the Western Broken Lands have come under control of Glantri and are safer for caravan traffic, is still known for being a centre for hiring mercenary and caravan guards.
Nyra is the administrative centre of the Free Province and is a collection point for all the produce and goods of the region for shipment north to the Capital and beyond. The town was protected during Thar's invasion and his drive north to the Capital in 1007 by the Vesubian River. Thar ravaged the hills to the west, and the west bank of the Vesubian River on his way to the Capital. However Nyra suffered mass upheaval as the population was moved north in advance of Thar and the town held by the 38th Division during the siege of Glantri City to protect the northern flank of Carnelia's forces that held the central and eastern areas of the Province until the siege was broken later that year. After the war the population of Nyra grew substantially as, in addition to it's residents returning, refugees from ravaged areas to the west and southwest decided to stay in Nyra. Nyra is a wealthy town with local trade, and trade with Darokin passing through the town.
Useful Links: none...as of now.