Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
[OSE Solitary Adventure] Defending Fyrwood Townby Shesheyan
Started a new solo adventure yesterday. I'm using OSE and OSE advanced.
Four adventurers are hired to rid the country side of a band of gnolls that attacks caravans and farmers living in the area near Fyrwood Forest. Tomark the human (m) magic-user (L4), Vodinn the dwarven (m) cleric (L4), Servyna elven (f) thief (L6) and Aminda the human (f) fighter (L4) have followed leads to the ruins of a burned down farm house located three hours from Fyrwood Town.
Race and class are separated.
The characters have maximum HPs.
The magic-user is allowed to use a staff, a dagger and a sling.
I'm using side initiative but the characters do a full activation on their turn (move+attack).
Spells caster have extra spells for each "plus" on their attributes.
The thief has +5% per "plus" on his attributes.
The fighter is a specialist of the sword so he deals 1d10 with it instead of 1d8.
The gnolls were hiding at the edge of Fyrwood. The characters activated first. The combat lasted 4 rounds. The gnoll on the far left survived and ran into the forest. Vodinn lost 12 HPs on a total of 28. Servyna lost 7 on 36. Voddin casts two Cure Light Wounds on himself and heals 2x [1d6+1 (+ Wis bonus 3)] 27 HPs on 28.
Do they run after the gnoll or do they return to town? To be continued.
A look at side A, round #1. I won't be doing a blog this time. It takes too much time. I prefer playing instead.
In short: DAY 1
Servyna (thief) moved to intercept the gnoll on the far right. She managed to kill him alone. But was injured.
Vodinn (cleric) got into trouble because he venerates a god of war and his impetuous. He moved to get closer to the gnolls before using his sling.
The two gnolls charged Vodinn and both hit.
Tomark (magic-user) threw his magic missile at the gnoll on the far left. The creature wasted three arrows unable to hit AC2 (shield).
Aminda (fighter) charged to the rescue of Vodinn. Together they killed the two gnolls.
The immobilized gnolls (hold person) were killed with a coup de grace.
Round #1 Side B Gnolls
DAY 1 continued:
- The band of gnolls had 100gp among them.
- It is mid-day. The PCs (roll) decide to continue.
- They camp at the ruins to heal.
- No night encounter.
- Servyna and Vodinn are back at maximum hit points.
- Rations 7 - 1 = 6 days
- The heroes manage to follow the gnoll tracks in the forest.
- There is a random encounter.
- Two Killer Bees surprise the party.
- Tomark is hit but succeeds his save vs poison.
- Arminda is not so lucky. She fails her save and dies.
House Rule: Upon a Death result PCs fall to the ground with zero HPs. They are unconscious for a number of rounds equal to 1 + their constitution bonus. If they are healed magically within this period they survive. Otherwise they are Dead. Roll a new character.
- Vodinn immediately casts 3 cure light wounds on Arminda.
- Arminda regains consciousness. She is at 23 hit points.
- They decide to continue despite this set back.
- Do they find the Gnolls lair: No.
- Camp for the night.
- Rations = 6 - 1 = 5 days left.
- No night encounter.
- Arminda regains 5 hit points = 28 (on 42 maximum)
- Morning. Do they find the lair? No.
- Encounter? Yes
- It is a chimera at 140 yards.
- No surprise
- Heroes win the initiative resulting in Evasion !!!
- The Chimera is, roll, indifferent. No pursuit. That was a close call.
- The heroes put as much distance as they can from the chimera.
- They decide to hunt and forage for half a day.
- They find enough foraging for 2 people. No game is hunted.
- Rations = 5 - 0.5 = 4.5 days
- Night camp. No encounter.
- Arminda naturally heals 6 hit point = 34.
- They resume the search for the Gnoll lair.
- Do they find it in the morning? Yes!
The road travelled so far
Day 4 continued
- The lair entrance is 160 yards away from the adventurers.
- There are no sentries.
- Vodinn casts a cure light wounds on Aminda. She now has 41hps on 42.
- They heroes advance towards the entrance.
- There are no hidden enemies.
- The lair as a cave entrance on the face of a large hill.
- The adventurers go down a steep stone staircase, followed by a 50' tunnel.
- They advance slowly, arriving at the entrance of a 30'x50' cave. It has 1 other exit.
- There is no surprise.
- 4 gnolls and 2 feral dogs are in foul mood and ready to attack.
- Initiative. The PCs go first.
Round 1: Heroes and gnolls attack each other.
- The combat lasted 4 rounds.
- Heroes going first round 1 and 2.
- The gnolls first round 3 and the 4th was simultaneous.
- Sernya was attacked by the two wolves and lost 12hps.
- Arminda lost 7hps but killed 3 gnolls.
- Vodinn casted Bless which gave +1 hit / +1 damage.
- He killed one gnoll but suffered 11 damage.
- Tomark injured a wolf with a magic missile and hit it with his staff killing it.
- He sustained no damage.
- After the battle Vodinn cast a cure light wound on himself +6 = 23 on 27.
Round 4: The heroes prevailed
The heroes press on and enter the other tunnel (top left)