Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
[BECMI/RC] Magical Items granting bonuses to General skill/ability score checksby Håvard
I feel like even later editions with more emphasis on skills didn't really integrate this concept into the selection of magical items. What are some magical items that can affect General Skills?
- Potion of Skill Mastery gains the drinker a +5 bonus to a specific General Skill for one hour unless otherwise specified.
- Potion of Skill Incompetence (cursed): This cursed item causes the drinker a -5 penalty to all skill rolls for the next week.
Misc Magical Items
Misc magical items may have the effects below, but may also be combined into other items. For instance, a Saddle+3 of Riding may also be a Saddle of Invisibility for instance.
- Tools: These tools are created for use with a specific skill. They grant a range from +1 to +5 to that skill whenever the tools are employed.
- Helm of Intimidation: This scary looking helm grants a +1-+5 bonus to Intimidation checks.
- Book of Lore: This book grants a +1-+5 bonus to one field of lore, for instance Knowledge (Type), Planar Geography, Military Tactics, Law and Justice etc.
- Manual of Science: This book grants a +1-+5 bonus in the field of one science such as Alchemy, Engineering, Science (Type) eetc
- Saddle of Riding: This Saddle grants a +1-+5 bonus to the Ride Skill for one type of animal.
- Dice of Gambling: +1-+5 bonus to gambling. Other gaming sets also exist.
- Musical Instrument: +1-+5 bonus to Music skill
- Crown of Leadership: +1-+5 bonus to Leadeship skill when worn.
- Codex Immortalis +1-+5 bonus to Ceremony Skill
Thief Skill items
Thief Skills need items too! In this case, the bonus goes from +5%-+25% (+5% counts as a +1 item for enchantment purposes).
- Goggles of Trap Finding
- Tools of Trap Removal
- Gloves of Climbing
- Gloves of Pickpocketing
- Glasses of Reading Languages
- Boots of moving silently
- Cloak of Hiding in Shadows
A spellcaster may create such items the same way he would a magical weapon etc. However, he needs to posess the skill in question or work with a specialist who posesses the skill. If another PC helps out, providing the knowledge of the skill in question, that PC cannot do adventuring or training etc during the time it takes to create the item.
What do you think? What are other ideas for items that could be used in connection with the General Skill Rules or Ability Checks for those not using those optional rules.