Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Ierendi Tournament Answersby Marco Dalmonte
OK, here's the answers to the questions i proposed. Since some of them are very "open", I'll list all the possible answers (those that come to my mind at least). You can also include other answers which are appropriate to your campaign if you want use these questions with your players. :)
ECONOMICS (Total: 30 points)
1) What's the exchange rate for 1 gp in silver pieces and electrum pieces? (1) A: 1 gp = 2 ep = 10 sp
2) What's the name of the Thyatian gold piece? (2) A: Lucin
3) What's the exchange rate for 1 standard Glantrian Crown in gold pieces (in Glantri)? (2) A: 1 Glantrian Crown = 50 gp
4) Name 1 imported and 1 exported good by Ierendi (6) A: Ierendi imports: dye & pigments, cloth, animals, silk, ivory, meat, monsters and rare books. It exports: fish, precious metals, furs, salt, oil and fruit.
5) What's the wealthiest nation of the world after 1010 AC? (4) A: I admit this wasn't as easy as i thought, mainly because the values I'm basing on date back to AC 1000 (check out the Trail Maps charts). Anyway, with Alphatia in the HW, Thyatis on its knees and Glantri nearly ruined, the wealthiest nation is probably Darokin (even though it suffered greatly, too), with Rockhome second and probably Karameikos, Minrothad and the Five Shires at third place.
6) Name at least two nations of the world that don't impose taxes on its inhabitants. (5) A: Ethengar Khanates, Vestland, Ostland, Soderfjord, Yavdlom Divinarchy, Emerond
7) What's the Sales Tax? (3) A: Sales Tax is a tax assessed on the value of an item at the time of sale
8) Name at least one nation of the Old World that doesn't use the gold piece (2) A: Ethengar, Atruaghin Clans (Broken Lands is not really a "nation")
9) Name at least one major feature of the Darokinian economic system (3) A: Certified Letter of Credit (CLOC), Taxation system (Great Reckoning), Credit Houses
10) How much does a longsword normally cost? (2) A: 10 gp
HISTORY (Total: 30 points)
1) Who was the first Thyatian Emperor? (2) A: Zendrolion Tatriokanitas I
2) Who's the current (AC 1014) Emperor of Thyatis? (1) A: Eusebius Torion 3) List at least two important events that changed the political scenario in the old world from AC 1009 to AC 1014. (2) A: Alphatia's sinking, Thincol's death, the Heldannic conquest of Norwold, Hule's conquest of Sind, Karameikos becoming a kingdom, discovery of Aengmor, Aengmor coming to surface in the Broken Lands, Heldannics vs Thyatians in the Isle of Dawn and in the Alatian Islands, Thyatis repelled by Thothia, discovery of the Hollow World, founding of NACE, founding of WDL, discovery of the survival of Alphatia in the HW.
4) Who is the current (AC 1014) Chancellor of Darokin? (3) A: Corwyn Mauntea
5) When and why Rockhome broke all the diplomatic relationships with Glantri? (4) A: At the end of the Years of Infamy (AC 802-828), when the dwarves were accused of bringing the plague to Glantri and expelled. Those caught inside Glantri from then on are captured and used as guinea pigs by the wizards.
6) Who is the most prominent figure of the Ylari history and why? (3) A: Suleiman al-Kalim, the Prophet of the Desert Garden. He was the one who led the Ylari in their fight for independency against Alphatians and Thyatians in the IX century, finally uniting the Ylari tribes and giving them their own government system and their own religious faith.
7) When did Ierendi become an independent Kingdom? (5) A: AC 602 (Mad Creeg is the first self styled King of Ierendi)
8) What is the Spikes' Assault and when did it take place? (6) A: The Spikes' Assault took place in AC 960, when the Alphatian Army besieged Thyatis City but was at the end driven out by the resistance led by Thincol the Brave.
9) What is the oldest nation of the Old World? (2) A: Alfheim is the oldest nation of the OW (the one that held the same government system from the beginning), founded in 700 BC (Mealiden crowned first King of Alfheim).
10) When did the Heldannic Knights take over the Heldann Freeholds? (2) A: In AC 950-952.
GEOGRAPHY (Total: 30 points)
1) Name at least three of the Ierendi islands. (2) A: Ierendi island, Safari island, Alcove island, Utter island, White isle, Roister island, Aloysius island, Elegy island, Fletcher island, Honor island.
2) Which nations border on Ierendi? (3) A: Minrothad Guilds, Atruaghin Clans, Five Shires, Grand Duchy of Karameikos.
3) List at least 6 capitals of the Old World nations (3) A: Thyatis City, Mirros, Shireton, Ierendi, Minrothad city, Ylaruam Town, Rafielton, Darokin City, Dengar, Glantri City, Norrvik, Zeaburg, Soderfjord, Xantha (or Bargha or Chagon-nah), Wendar Town, Freiburg.
4) What's the most populated city of the Old World? (1) A: Thyatis City (500,000)
5) What's the name of the most important river of Darokin? (2) A: Streel River
6) Which countries does the Overland Trade Route cross? (5) A: Thyatis, Karameikos, Darokin, Ylaruam, Ethengar, Rockhome, Vestland, Soderfjord, Heldannic Territories.
7) Where is the Great School of Magic (city/nation)? (1) A: Glantri City/Principalities of Glantri
8) What's the longest river of the Old World? (4) A: Streel River (880 miles)
9) What's the highest mountain of the Old World and where is it located? (6) A: Mt de Glace in Glantri (25,100 feet)
10) Name at least three provinces controlled by the Empire of Thyatis (3) A: Ok, just the most famous ones: Kerendas, Hattias and Machetos.
MAGIC & RELIGION (Total: 30 points)
1) What is the holy book of the Eternal Truth? (4) A: Nahmeh
2) What is the symbol of the Heldannic Knights' Order? (1) A: Black rampant lion on white field
3) What is the official religion of Ierendi? (3) A: Ierendi has no "official" religion. (sorry guys, i couldn't resist this)
4) To which Immortal belongs the "Silver Moon" symbol? (2) A: Asterius
5) Who is the Immortal Patron of Justice and Revenge? (2) A: Tarastia
6) Name one clerical and magic-user's spell of levels 1 and 2. (2) A: the most common are: MU lvl 1= Magic Missile, Read Magic, Read Languages, Charm, Sleep MU lvl 2= Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force, Invisibility, Web C lvl 1= Cure Light Wounds, Resist Cold, Light, Detect Evil C lvl 2= Resist Fire, Bless, Hold Person, Silence (5' radius).
7) List all the powers of a (OD&D) Staff of Wizardry. (6) A: Staff +1, Invisibility, Pass Wall, Conjure Elementals, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Ice Storm, Continual Light, Telekinesis, Paralysis (like Wand of Cold), Create Whirlwind (like a Djinn), Final Power.
8) What are the requirements a Magic-user must satisfy to cast a Wish spell? (5) A: He must be of 33rd level and have an Intelligence score of at least 18
9) How many "Cure" clerical spells do exist? (1) A: 5 "Cure" spells: Cure Light Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds, Cure Disease, Cure Blindness. (Cureall is the wizard's spell).
10) How is the Multiverse divided according to the recent Theories on the Planes of Existence? (4) A: It consists of Inner Planes and Outer Planes. The Inner Planes are: Prime Plane, Ethereal Plane, Four Elemental Planes. The Outer Planes are: Astral Planes and Outer Planes.
MISCELLANEA (Total: 30 points)
1) How many calendars are diffused throughout the Old World by AC 1014? (3) A: At least eight: Thyatis, Alphatia, Ethengar, Five Shires, Rockhome, Ylaruam, Minrothad and Shadow elves' calendars. Sind is not part of the Old World.
2) What are the main festivals and holidays of Ierendi? (4) A: The Rebirth (Thaumont 1-7), Freedom Day and Crown Tournament (Klarmont 1), Celebration of the sea (Ambyrmont 1-2) and Days of Right (Kaldmont 1-3).
3) How many of the current Sheriffs of the Five Shires are women? (3) A: 3 female sheriffs: Delune Darkeyes, Sildil Seaeyes and Maeragh Littlelaughs.
4) Who is Oran Meditor? (1) A: Ruling Guildmaster of Minrothad Guilds
5) What are the true names of the so called "Northern Reaches"? (2) A: Vestland, Ostland and Soderfjord Jarldoms
6) Name at least two nations where slavery is legal. (3) A: Thyatis, Jaibul.
7) Name one country where the ruler of the nation is also the head of the Church and of the army? (2) A: Heldannic Territories and Hagiarchy of Hule, which are theocracies.
8) List all of the current (AC 1014) Principalities of Glantri. (5) A: Aalban, Belcadiz, Bergdhoven, Boldavia, Bramyra, Erewan, Fenswick, Klantyre, Krondahar, Morlay-Malinbois, New Kolland, Nouvelle Averoigne, Sablestone (13 in total).
9) When does the so called Day of Dread occurs? (1) A: on the last day of the Thyatian calendar (28th of Kaldmont) of each year
10) What is Chi and where is it located? (6) Chi is a small town located in the Grasslands of Chi, Ochalea.