Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Nagpaby Jamie Baty
X4 30, DMR2 79, PC2 20
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 9d8-9 (31 hp)
Initiative: +1 (+1 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+7
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6 -2)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6 -2) or by weapon
Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: Corruption, create flames
Special Qualities: Armour aversion, darkvision 60ft., immortal's curse, kariwa, locate creature, magical nature, spell resistance 15, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +11
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 13, Con 9, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Appraise +8, Bluff +1 (-3)*, Concentration +1, Decipher Script +6, Diplomacy +1 (-3)*, Disguise +3, Gather Information +5 (+1)*, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (geography) +6, Knowledge (history) +13, Knowledge (religion) +6, Listen +3, Search +6, Spot +3
Feats: Diligent, Investigator, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Knowledge (History))
Environment: Temperate and Warm deserts or underground
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 10-13 HD (Medium) or by character class
Level Adjustment: +4
A nagpa resembles a humanoid form except its head is like vulture-like and its body is dry and withered like someone very old. It is surrounded by a strange odour of bird droppings, mustiness, dust, and spoiled alchemical things.
There is much speculation on the true origins of the nagpa. The nagpa claim they came from another plane, one that was very advanced and learned. In the process of travelling through a gate or wormhole to Mystara, the stress caused them to forget much of their origins. What little is known is veiled in fragmented dreams.
Other scholars however, believe that nagpa were the product of a long forgotten Immortal's curse. It is believed the nagpa were an advanced, magical society that affronted an immortal. His punishment was swift and severe: corrupting the nagpa into their current state, knowing nothing of their origins and never knowing the freedom of death.
Very few people know of their existence, something the nagpa are very happy with. They will go to extreme lengths to keep the details of their existence as secret as possible, including murder. When searching for information or dealing with non-nagpa, nagpa will often use magic to hide their true nature.
Regardless of their origins, nagpa are at the very least unpleasant creatures to deal with, at worse corrupt and evil beings thinking only of themselves. They are often anti-social and are wholly unable to express emotions. The nagpa are quick to say they are merely serious creatures not given to frivolity and possessing large quantities of cynicism and world-weariness. The result is the same however- no-one likes being around them.
Because of their reincarnation at death, nagpa, during their daily kariwa meditation, focus on their past lives for knowledge and wisdom. Nagpa are extremely learned, and love knowledge- the more arcane and obscure the better. They amass great libraries of books, scrolls and manuscripts on every topic imaginable.
Nagpa are usually found near crypts and mausoleums, or other very out of the way places. The have no problem animating the dead to serve them, or enslaving any unfortunate victim that happens in their lairs.
Nagpas usually speak their own language, Nag, and Common. The also frequently speak Draconic, Ignan and Infernal. However, nagpa are fascinated by languages and often know many languages, both ancient and modern.
Nagpa do not like combat and will avoid it if possible. They will use their spell-like abilities in preference to any other attack method.
Nagpa are proficient with simple weapons, though they have difficulty using bows of any type. The favour quarterstaves and daggers as weapons. Nagpa are too frail to use armour. Many nagpas make up for this with substantial magical protective devices.
Corruption (Su): 3/day - A nagpa can subject any object within 60 feet to a burst of negative energy. This burst instantly decays, corrupts or rots the item into an unusable state. Magical and attended objects receive a Will Save vs DC 17 to avoid the effect. Objects must weigh no more than 10 lb per level of the nagpa. Good nagpas may not use this ability. The save DC is Intelligence based.
Create Flames (Sp): 3/day - A nagpa can cause any object of up to 10 lb per caster level within 60 feet to burst into flames for 1d3 rounds. Magical and attended objects receive a DC 17 Will save to avoid the effect. Each round, the flames cause 2d6 fire damage. Anyone in contact with the object may make a Reflex Save vs DC 17 for half damage. The save DC is Intelligence based.
Armour Aversion (Ex): A nagpa cannot wear armour of any type. A nagpa wearing armour is considered helpless.
Immortal's Curse (Ex): A nagpa does not truly die. If killed, it is reincarnated immediately as a new nagpa, with no memory of its prior lives. The newly reincarnated nagpa appears 2d100 miles from the location of its death.
Kariwa (Su): Each day, the nagpa must meditate for 1/2 hour at some point in the afternoon. If this is not done, the following morning the nagpa must make a Will save vs DC 12 or fall asleep for 1d4 hours. The nagpa cannot be awakened. If the save is made and the nagpa again misses kariwa, the next morning's Will save DC increases by +2. This DC increase is cumulative for each day's kariwa missed.
In addition, a nagpa that goes without kariwa risks going insane (as per the insanity spell). The Will save DC is 12, with a +2 DC increase for each day missed.
Locate Creature (Su): A nagpa automatically knows if any creature within 100 miles is talking about it or any other nagpa, sensing the creature's direction as the locate creature spell.
Magical Nature (Ex): A nagpa has a +2 racial bonus to all saving throws.
Spell Resistance (Ex): A nagpa has spell resistance equal to 6 + its Monstrous Humanoid HD. Any class levels do not increase its SR.
Spell-like Abilities (Ex): 3/day: darkness, hold person (affects lawful creatures only), silent image; 1/ week: animate dead. CL 9, the save DCs are Intelligence based.
Skills: A nagpa has a +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge skills it possesses ranks in. *All nagpa receive a -4 penalty to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate skill checks made against Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids and Fey.
Nagpas can advance by character class, or may gain up to 13HD in the Monstrous Humanoid type. Gaining HD in Monstrous Humanoid causes the following changes to a nagpa's stats:
• Natural AC Bonus: At 11 HD, a nagpa's natural AC bonus increases to +5.
At 13 HD, the nagpa's natural AC bonus increases to +6.
• Magical Nature: At 11 HD, a nagpa's saving throw bonus increases to +3.
At 13 HD, a nagpa's saving throw bonus increases to +4.
• Spell Resistance: A nagpa's SR is equal to 6 + its Monstrous Humanoid HD.
• Spell-like Abilities: At 10HD, a nagpa can cast polymorph (self only) 1/day.
At 12 HD, a nagpa can cast animate dead 1.day.
Caster level for spell-like abilities is equal to the nagpa's monstrous humanoid HD.
• Summon Homunculus or Tabi (Sp): At 13HD, the nagpa may summon an appropriate homunculus or tabi to be its servant. This servant is treated as if it was a familiar (the nagpa gains the benefits as well as penalties of a familiar), and the nagpa may summon one even if it current possesses another familiar due to class abilities. The nagpa may summon only one homunculus or tabi at a time, and it remains with the nagpa until killed or dismissed.
Nagpas as Characters
A nagpa's favoured class is wizard. In fact there are hardly any other classes found among the nagpa. Most despise melee classes and most have an aversion to the divine classes. There are a few that become sorcerers, but most settle with wizard. Those that do become clerics may choose two of the following domains: Chaos, Knowledge, or Magic.
Nagpa characters possess the following racial traits.
• -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
• A nagpa's base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Racial Hit Dice: A nagpa begins with nine levels of monstrous humanoid, which provides 9d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +9, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort+3, Ref+6, Will+6.
• Racial Skills: A nagpa's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 12 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Appraise, Concentration, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Knowledge (Any).
• Racial Feats: A nagpa's monstrous humanoid levels give it four feats.
• Weapon proficiency: A nagpa is proficient with all simple weapons.
• +4 natural armour bonus.
• Natural Weapons: Bite (1d6).
• Special Attacks (see above): Create Flames, Corruption
• Special Qualities: Armour Aversion, Immortal's Curse, Kariwa, Locate Creature, Magical Nature, Spell resistance (6 + 1 per HD), Spell-like Abilities
• A nagpa has a +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge skills it possesses ranks in. *All nagpa receive a -4 penalty to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate skill checks made against Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids and Fey.
• Automatic Languages: Nag and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Ignan and Infernal
• Favoured Class: Wizard.
• Level Adjustment of +4.