Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Leprechaunby Jamie Baty
Diminutive Fey (Faerie)
Hit Dice: 1/2d6 (1 hp)
Initiative: +4 (+4 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armour Class: 18 (+4 size, +4 Dex), touch 18, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-14
Attack: Diminutive longsword +2 melee (1d3 -2)
Full Attack: Diminutive longsword +2 melee (1d3 -2)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Communicate with Animals, Faerie Traits, Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +4, Craft (any one) +12, Diplomacy +4, Hide +18, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +3, Spot +5, Tumble +8, Use Magic Device +4
Feats: Skill Focus (Craft (any one))
Environment: Any land
Organisation: Solitary, or Gang (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful good
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +1
Leprechauns are the chief craftsmen of the Good People; they are best known among humans as shoemakers (since, it is said, the fairies wear out so many pairs of shoes with their frequent dancing), but they make such other things as clothes, weapons, wine casks, and magical items. They trade these items with the other fairies in return for food, raw materials, and treasure.
Leprechauns speak Sylvan, Fairy, Elvish, Gnomish, and the dominant local language. They are also able to communicate with animals. A leprechaun may also know Common, Halfling, Dryad, and other local languages.
Leprechauns, not surprisingly, will try to avoid contact with mortals. They, however, will fight if cornered, while looking for a quick escape.
Leprechauns are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and may wear light armour. Most prefer to use a longsword in combat.
Communicate with Animals (Ex): A leprechaun may communicate with animals as if he were permanently under the effect of a speak with animals spell.
Faerie Traits: As a Faerie, leprechauns have the following traits:
• Invisibility to Mortals (Sp): All faeries may become invisible to mortals at will as a standard action. This is the same as the invisibility spell except that creatures with second sight can see the subject normally.
• Second Sight (Ex): This is the ability common to all faeries and some mortals to be able to recognise a fey creature's true form even when invisible to mortals, polymorphed or shapechanged.
• Immunity to Normal Disease (Ex): Faeries are immune to all normal diseases but may still be affected by magical diseases such as mummy rot.
• Immortality (Ex): Faeries do not grow old. Death is merely a change in the cycle of their existence in which they become reborn as another faerie (in 0-999 years time).
• Holy Aversion (Ex): Faeries take 1d4 damage from Holy Water (no splash damage) and are made uncomfortable and tend to avoid Holy Symbols, Prayers or the names of the Immortals.
• Faeries cannot normally cast divine magic but, in the unlikely event that they would look for and find an immortal willing to accept them, they could trade all of the above traits for the opportunity to become a follower of that immortal.
Skills: Leprechauns have a +4 racial bonus to a Craft (any one) skill chosen at creation. Use Magic Device is always a class skill for leprechauns.
Leprechauns as Characters
A leprechaun character exchanges its 1/2 HD of fey for its first class level.
A leprechaun's favoured class is expert and sorcerer. Leprechauns are excellent craftsmen and have quite the affinity for arcane magic, using it to augment their crafting. They make for good rogues, wizards, and bards as well. Some prove to be capable fighters and barbarians, although their small stature is not always suited to melee combat. Leprechauns are unable to use divine magic, and are never clerics, druids, paladins or other divine magic-based classes.
Leprechaun characters possess the following racial traits.
• -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
• Diminutive size. +4 bonus to Armour Class, +4 bonus on attack rolls, +12 bonus on Hide checks, -12 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/4 those of Medium characters.
• A leprechaun's base land speed is 20 feet.
• Low-light vision.
• Skills: leprechauns have a +4 racial bonus on a Craft skill selected at creation.
• Weapon Proficiency: All simple and martial weapons.
• Armour Proficiency: All light armours, but no shields.
• Special Qualities (see above): Communicate with Animals, Faerie Traits.
• Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Fairy, Elven Gnomish, local language. Bonus Languages: Common, Halfling, Dryad, other local languages.
• Favoured Class: Expert and Sorcerer.
• Level adjustment +1