Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Alphatia, 24 miles per hexby Thorfinn Tait
Replica of Dawn of the Emperors map of Alphatia, 24 miles per hex by Thorf: replica January 2016, original colours January 2010
Updated Alphatia, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
This was the first and most detailed map released for the island continent of Alphatia. It was previously visible in the Master Rules Set world map, as well as various continental maps of Brun, but the Dawn of the Emperors version was rather different from those — especially in the north.
At 24 miles per hex, it took up a whole poster map, covering an area bigger than the whole Known World. It was full of mysteries, such as the walls between certain member kingdoms, that were not explained in the text. Many of these were later explained in fan works, and then Bruce Heard did a series of articles on his blog from 2012 – 2013, detailing each kingdom and redoing its map at 8 miles per hex.
Notably, although this map only shows Alphatia, in fact the Isle of Dawn should be visible in the bottom left, and Bellissaria in the bottom right.
- Dawn of the Emperors (1989)
- The Empire of Alphatia, 24 mile per hex poster map
- Wrath of the Immortals (1992).
About Replica Maps
Unlike Updated maps, Replica maps are exact (or sometimes colourised) replicas of primary source maps. These source maps form the main source material of the Atlas of Mystara, from which all of the updated maps are made. Put simply:
- Replica maps present the world of Mystara as the original source materials depict it, warts and all. No attempt has been made to fix errors of any kind — even typos. Replica maps are always marked as such on this site.
- Updated maps present the Atlas of Mystara‘s consistent view of the world, with all errors, alignment issues, and so on fixed. Anything not marked as a replica map is an updated map.
Notes on Updated map (Dawn of the Emperors)
- Fonts - Title: 15.9 pt Feinen Bold; Qeodhar: 13 pt Feinen Bold; Islands and Major Terrain Features: 11.9-12 pt Feinen Bold; Regions: 13.6-13.9 pt Feinen Regular; Major Water Features: 13.8-13.9 pt Feinen Italic; Rivers: 9.8-10.2 pt Feinen Italic; Settlements and Walls: 10 pt Feinen Bold.
Notes on Updated map (Wrath of the Immortals)
To Do List
- Make replicas of the Wrath of the Immortals chronological maps, and original colour variants.
- Search Dawn of the Emperors, Wrath of the Immortals and other pertinent sources (Poor Wizard's Almanacs?) for geographical details to add to the map.
- Incorporate LoZompatore's additions into the updated map.