Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Pegataur Racial Info/Progressionby Jamie Baty
Powerful and proud, the pegataurs have a long and distinguished history. Related to the pegasi, elves and centaurs, they are loyal allies and implacable foes.
Personality: Pegataurs pride themselves on their strength, stamina, and fitness. They are proud, powerful and proficient warriors. This can often be misconstrued as arrogance and haughtiness by those unfamiliar with them. The only creatures that routinely have contact with pegataurs are the elves and pegasi.
Pegataur youths live hard lives filled with stern discipline and trials of stamina, deprivation, travel, and hunger. Even as adults, they tend to lead austere, separate lives, filled with stern pride in their strength and prowess.
Physical Description: Pegataurs have an upper body similar to that of the elves, and the lower body of a Pegasus.
Pegataurs wear clothing similar to that of the elves. Pegataurs prepared for battle will be wearing armour. They are proficient with simple weapons, as well as several martial ones.
Relations: Pegataurs typically only have extensive contact with the elves and pegasi. They tend to live in remote areas, and do not seek out contact with other races. However, they are not xenophobic, and will be courteous hosts should others stumble upon their homes.
Many pegataurs become mercenaries, and honour their contacts meticulously. They generally do not overly concern themselves with the nature of their employers, although they will not wage war against elves.
Alignment: Pegataurs are usually lawful or neutral. Few are good or evil.
Pegataur Lands: Pegataurs are first-rate foragers and survivors, and can tolerate extreme conditions. They live in all climates, but do prefer lightly wooded hills.
Pegataurs live in tightly knit tribal communities where the leader's word is law. The leader is often advised by a council consisting of respected warriors and shamans (clerics and/or druids).
They can be found throughout the Known World- although they tend to be more common in the northern latitudes. Some have found their way to the Flying City of Serraine.
Religion: Pegataurs are attracted to Immortals of the elves, as well as "natural" Immortals such as Ordana and Terra. Pegataur clerics who do not worship a particular Immortal can choose two of the following domains: Air, Protection and Strength.
Language: Pegataurs speak Sylvan and Elven, and can communicate to pegasi. They may also know Common, Auran, Gnome, Halfling, and other Local languages.
Names: Pegataur names are often very similar to elven names. They place a strong importance on family, and their family names are a source of pride.
Male Names: Rolane, Santarian
Female Names: Kalantha, Simone
Family Names: Dawnsorrow, Keltander, Mistlin
Adventurers: Pegataurs go on adventures for many and varied reasons. Many leave to be mercenaries or to improve their skills with arms.
Most encountered will be martial classes, with classes like ranger and duskblade being fairly common. Arcane casters are frequently found as well. Clerics, paladins, and druids are odd in pegataur society, as they do not value martial prowess over their religious or philosophical ideals. They are to be respected, but they are not understood. Rogues are few and far between in pegataur society.
Pegataur Racial Traits:
• +10 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom.
• Large size. -1 penalty to Armour Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
• Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
• A pegataur's base land speed is 50 feet. It also has a fly speed of 100ft (average).
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Natural Attack: 2 Hooves (1d6).
• Weapon Proficiency: A pegataur receives the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the lance, longsword, greatsword, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. They are proficient with all simple weapons.
• Armour Proficiency: A pegataur has armour proficiency in all Light, Medium, and Heavy armours, as well as with shields.
• A pegataur employing a lance deals double damage when it charges, just as a rider on a mount does.
• Racial Hit Dice: A pegataur begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
• Racial Skills: A pegataur's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival.
• Racial Feats: A pegataur's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot and Survival checks. A pegataur who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• +3 natural armour bonus.
• Spell-like Abilities (Sp): 1/day: daze, detect magic, and prestidigitation. Caster level of 1 (or equal to arcane casting level). Any save DCs are Charisma based.
• Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Elven, Pegasus. Bonus Languages: Common, Auran, Gnome, Halfling.
• Favoured Class: Fighter or Sorcerer.
• Level adjustment +4.
Pegataur Racial Progression
The table below gives an optional level progression for pegataur players. In this system, starting ability score modifiers and other abilities are granted later or partially granted. At the end of the progression, the pegataur will be the same as if created normally.
Table: Pegataur Racial Progression
Class Level Hit Dice Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Special 1st 1d8 +1 +0 +2 +2 (2+ Int Mod) x4 +2 Str, -2 Int; 2 Hooves (1d4); Darkvision 60ft; Pegataur Weapon and Armour Proficiencies; Starting Feat. 2nd 1d8 +1 +0 +2 +2 --- +2 Con; 1/day: prestidigitation 3rd 2d8 +2 +0 +3 +3 2+ Int Mod +2 Str; +1 natural armour 4th 2d8 +2 +0 +3 +3 --- +2 Dex; 1/day: daze 5th 3d8 +3 +1 +3 +3 2+ Int Mod +2 Str; 2 Hooves (1d6); Feat. 6th 3d8 +3 +1 +3 +3 --- +2 Wis; +2 natural armour 7th 4d8 +4 +1 +4 +4 2+ Int Mod +2 Str; +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot and Survival checks. A pegataur who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it 8th 4d8 +4 +1 +4 +4 --- +2 Con; 1/day: detect magic. 9th 5d8 +5 +1 +4 +4 2+ Int Mod +2 Str; +3 natural armour