Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Randaraby Jamie Baty
Medium Fey (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 14d6 (49 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+5 Dex)
Speed: 45 ft. (9 squares)
Armour Class: 20 (+5 Dex, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+12
Attack: By weapon +8 melee (by weapon +1)
Full Attack: By weapon +8/+3 melee (by weapon +1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Change shape, Damage reduction 15/magic, low-light vision, spell immunity, spells-like abilities
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +14, Will +14
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 13
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +9, Gather Information +11, Hide +9, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (local) +10, Listen +13, Move Silently +13, Search +12, Sense Motive +13, Spot +13, Survival +8
Feats: Alertness, Investigator, Iron Will, Power Attack, Track
Environment: Any land
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +5
Randaras are evil beings of legendary power. They delight in using their shapeshifting to trap innocent folks as food. Their true appearance is unknown. They most often appear as humans or humanoids, but can also take the shapes of small, cuddly animals.
Randaras are very fond of human flesh. They often take forms designed to catch humans off-guard. Usually, a randara seeks out a human settlement and looks for someone with modest power and respect. After stalking the victim for weeks, learning as much about the individual as possible, the randara murders its prey and impersonates the victim. Once established in a respectable position, the randara can use its new identity to lure more prey.
Randaras are voracious hunters of human and demihuman flesh. They have no known natural enemies. Dopplegangers regard randaras with a mix of fear, terror and admiration- and their exact relation to one another is unknown.
A randara's attack varies with its chosen form; for example, in human form, it uses weapons, but in the form of a dog, it bites. The above stats assume a human form.
Randaras are patient and subtle hunters, but strike quickly and violently when they have decided to finish off their prey.
Change Shape (Su): A randara can change shape an unlimited times per day as a standard action. A randara has the ability to assume the appearance of any humanoid (even duplicating the appearance of a specific individual), monstrous humanoid, fey, or animal, but retains most of its own physical qualities. A randara cannot change shape to a form larger than itself or more than two size categories smaller than its original form. A randara can stay in a particular shape as long as desired. When killed, a randara does not revert to its natural form. Changing shape results in the following changes to the randara:
• The randara retains its type and subtype. It gains the size of its new form.
• The randara loses the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its original form.
• The randara gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
• The randara retains the special qualities of its original form.
• The randara retains the ability scores of its original form.
• The randara retains its hit points and saves.
• The randara retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
• The randara is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
Damage Reduction (Su): A randara has damage reduction of 15/magic.
Spell Immunity (Ex): A randara is immune to all 1st through 3rd level spells.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will: Detect Thoughts; 1/day: Charm Person. Caster Level is 11th.
Randaras as Characters
A randara's favoured class is rogue. Randaras of all classes except paladin may be found. Randara clerics may choose two of the following domains: Domination, Evil, or Trickery.