Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Spirit, Revenantby Jamie Baty
CO, RC 207
Hit Dice: 18d12 (117 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 22 (+4 Dex, +8 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+11
Attack: Claw +7 melee (2d4 +2 +poison)
Full Attack: 2 Claw +7 melee (2d4 +2 +poison) and bite +2 melee (1d4 +1 +poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: Leaping ambush, poisonous aura, poison touch
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, Damage reduction 15/magic, daylight powerlessness, spell immunity, spell-like abilities, undead traits, summon spectres, turn resistance (+6)
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +17
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 19, Con -, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 22
Skills: Hide +31, Intimidate +11, Jump +24, Listen +10, Move Silently +21, Spot +15, Tumble +21
Feats: Acrobatic, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Spell Focus (necromancy), Greater Spell Focus (necromancy), Quicken spell-like ability (animate dead), Stealthy
Environment: Any Land
Challenge Rating: 14
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 19-36 HD (Medium); 37+ HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -
The decayed body in the distance is surrounded by pale, sickly green light. It moves with a speed and grace unlike any other zombie ever seen.
This horror at first glance appears to be a foul zombie, however it moves much more quickly. It is surrounded by a sickly green light. The revenant is a solitary creature, and it wanders in search of victims. It cannot be reasoned with and seeks only to extinguish life.
Revenants are most often medium sized humanoid or monstrous humanoid undead. However, they occasionally are large sized, and more rarely, small-sized creatures.
Revenants are very stealthy and will always attempt to surprise and ambush their victims. They have no fear of melee, although they will animate dead and summon spectres to their aid.
Leaping Ambush (Ex): If the revenant gains surprise, it may execute a leaping attack against any surprised target within 60ft. All three of the revenant's attacks automatically hit the target. This is a full round action.
Poisonous Aura (Ex):The revenant's aura is extremely destructive to its environment. It emanates to a range of 30' around the creature. All food and water (even holy water, oils, salves and potions) immediately spoil and become useless. Living plants and normal insects within the poison radius become immediately paralysed and die if the druj remains in the area for more than an hour. This aura negates all forms of plant control (including the entangle spell) and all insect plagues (summoned or natural).
Poisonous Touch (Ex): the revenant's touch is poisonous to the living. Primary and secondary 2d6 con, save DC 19 (based on HD only).
Blindsight (Ex): The revenant has Blindsight up to 60ft.
Damage Reduction (Su): The revenant has damage reduction 15/magic.
Daylight Powerlessness (Ex): The revenant is almost totally powerless during the daylight hours. It cannot use any spell like ability, attack or animate dead. It usually moves without rest during the day, covering up to 24 miles. The revenant does not have an aura while affected by daylight powerlessness.
Spell Immunity (Ex): The revenant is immune to spells lower than 4th level.
Spells-like Abilities (Sp): (at will) darkness, silence, contagion, animate dead, slay living. The revenant can animate undead once per round as a free action, in addition to all other actions. Save DC is 10+ spell level+ cha modifiers, +6 DC for contagion and slay living.
Summon Spectres (Sp): Once per night, a revenant can summon 1d4 spectres to come to its aid. The spectres will arrive 1d6 + 2 rounds after being summoned, and will obey and fight for the revenant. They may be turned as normally.
As an undead creature, the revenant possesses the following traits:
• No Constitution score.
• Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
• Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
• Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures.
• Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
• Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
• Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
• Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
• Revenants do not breathe, eat, or sleep.