Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Spriteby Jamie Baty
BA, RC 208, PC1 31
Tiny Fey (Faerie)
Hit Dice: 1d6 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 70 ft. (good)
Armour Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-11
Attack: Tiny dagger -1 melee (1d2 -3)
Full Attack: Tiny dagger -1 melee (1d2 -3)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Curse
Special Qualities: Communicate with animals, faerie traits, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 18
Skills: Diplomacy +8, Hide +15, Knowledge (local) +6, Listen +6, Move Silently +7, Search +6, Spot +6, Tumble +3, Use Magic Device +8
Environment: Temperate forests
Organisation: Solitary, Gang (2-5), Patrol (5-20), or Band (20-40)
Challenge Rating: 1
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: 2-9 HD (Tiny) or by character class
Level Adjustment: +1
Pixies and sprites are very similar fey creatures. Their attitudes and appearance are quite similar. The largest difference is sprites tend to pick arcane classes and abilities, while pixies tend to be more martial in their choices.
Sprites are slightly smaller than pixies, rarely growing taller than 15 inches in height, and more frequently being about a foot in height. They are slimmer than pixies as well. Their faces are round with pert, upturned noses and eyes that are often squinty and crossed. They have pointy, elvish-looking ears. Sprites are usually blonde and less hairy than pixies. The wings of a sprite are green, insect-like gossamer wings. They are better flyers than pixies.
Sprites are mischievous, graceful and whimsical. They love dancing by moonlight in fairy-rings, having various contests and games, and practical jokes. Perhaps their greatest joy is teasing the big races, particularly through the use of their curse ability. Leading travellers astray (i.e. pixie-led) is one common joke, and the other common joke is to pester someone into looking clumsy and foolish (i.e. pixie-ridden.)
When dealing with wicked being, sprites are much more harmful in their jokes and pranks. Sprites loathe evil as a great ugliness, and will take action to remove it from their midst.
Sprites survive by living off the land and "borrowing" food from other races. Their claim that any apples left on the tree after harvest are theirs by right, is an extension of this "borrowing."
Sprites speak Fairy, Sylvan, Elvish, Halfling, Gnome, and the predominant local language. They may also speak Common, Dryad, Hsiao and other local languages.
Sprites will avoid direct combat unless forced to fight, leaving melee to their pixie cousins. They will use their curses and flying ability to facilitate escape if need be.
Sprites are proficient with simple weapons, usually preferring tiny daggers. They are not proficient with any armour.
Curse (Sp): In cooperation with at least 4 other sprites, a sprite may cast the spell bestow curse 3/day. Sprite curses tend to be mischievous rather than directly harmful. The save DC is 18 (10+ 1/2 HD + Cha modifier +4 racial bonus).
Communicate with Animals (Ex): A sprite may communicate with animals as if he were permanently under the effect of a speak with animals spell.
Faerie Traits: As a Faerie, sprites have the following traits:
• Invisibility to Mortals (Sp): All faeries may become invisible to mortals at will as a standard action. This is the same as the invisibility spell except that creatures with second sight can see the subject normally.
• Second Sight (Ex): This is the ability common to all faeries and some mortals to be able to recognise a fey creature's true form even when invisible to mortals, polymorphed or shapechanged.
• Immunity to Normal Disease (Ex): Faeries are immune to all normal diseases but may still be affected by magical diseases such as mummy rot.
• Immortality (Ex): Faeries do not grow old. Death is merely a change in the cycle of their existence in which they become reborn as another faerie (in 0-999 years time).
• Holy Aversion (Ex): Faeries take 1d4 damage from Holy Water (no splash damage) and are made uncomfortable and tend to avoid Holy Symbols, Prayers or the names of the Immortals.
• Faeries cannot normally cast divine magic but, in the unlikely event that they would look for and find an immortal willing to accept them, they could trade all of the above traits for the opportunity to become a follower of that immortal.
Skills: A sprite always treats Use Magic Device as a class skill.
Sprites can advance by character class, or may gain up to 9HD in the Fey type. Gaining HD in Fey causes the following changes to a sprite's stats:
• Spells: For each additional Fey HD the sprite possesses, the sprite gains a level of sorcerer spellcasting. The sprite gains no other benefits of the sorcerer class other than spellcasting, and any spellcasting levels gained through Fey HD stack with any sorcerer levels the sprite possesses.
Sprites as Characters
A sprite character exchanges its 1HD of fey for its first class level unless it chooses to advance its Fey HD.
A sprite's favoured class is sorcerer. Sprites are capable mages. They also make for good rogues and bards. Sprites are unable to use divine magic, and are never clerics, druids, paladins or other divine magic-based classes.
Sprite characters possess the following racial traits.
• -6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, +8 Charisma.
• Tiny size. +2 bonus to Armour Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.
• A sprite's base land speed is 30 feet. They have a fly speed of 70' (good).
• Low-light vision.
• Skills: Use Magic Device is always a class skill for sprites.
• Weapon Proficiency: All simple weapons.
• Special Attacks (see above): Curse
• Special Qualities (see above): Communicate with Animals, Faerie Traits.
• Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Fairy, Elven Gnomish, Halfling, local language. Bonus Languages: Common, Dryad, Hsiao, other local languages.
• Favoured Class: Sorcerer.
• Level adjustment +1