Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swordsby Håvard
Now I looked up the section on page 139 and it details the story of a crew sailing from the Isle of Dawn and being attacked by a Kraken. The only survivor of the shipwreck being a young boy who is washed ashore along with one of the Nine Swords (from the Book's title). "Isle of Dawn" is a fairly generic name, but with the proximity of a sea with a Kraken? I am more convinced that Mystara was in the author's mind.
There is another reference to this on page 6 where it says that one of the places Reshar, the founder of the Temple of the Nine Swords, visited in his training were the islands beyond dawn. Since this is where Reshar learned the ways of the Setting Sun which is linked to the sword mentioned on page 139, I am convinced that this is the same Isle of Dawn. "Beyond dawn" could mean Ochalea which would be very appropriate.
Finally, the Faithful Avenger sword was used against the Black Eagle Baron before given to one of the Baron's lieutenants!
Is this entire book written with Mystara in mind? No. That much is clear. Many locations are either generic or belong to settings I do not immediately recognize. Some lands feature races like Mindflayers, or Deities such as Pelor. On the other hand the book makes it clear that the influence of the Nine Swords spreads across many planes. It seems likely that Reshar travelled the planes before founding the Temple of the Nine Swords and it also seems that the Nine Swords were spread across the planes after the destruction of the Temple, as were the fighting styles associated with them.
Another possible reference to Mystara is the Shadow Hand technique and the sword Umbral Awn. This fighting style is associated with stealth. Shadow Hand is also the assassin's guild in Thyatis. Could this be the place of origin for this fighting style?
- Ur-Thalddar: Hobgoblin Temple where Reshar recieved his early training.
- Temple of Nine Swords: Three Lifetimes (300 years?) ago Reshar constructed this temple in the Sunspire Peaks. Could this be on Mystara? Or somewhere else? It later fell into ruin. The story of the Eventide's Edge suggests that the crew from the Isle of Dawn believed they could sail to the location of the Temple. Or perhaps they were on their way to a Gate leading to it?
- Harran Turiyeshor, the Swordsage, aka the "Iron Dragon": - This is the "narrator" of the book. He defeated the High Inquisitor of Tiamat and slew the demon Varrash-Kral in the Ebon Tower. Three years ago he excised the Mind flayer infestation from Darkvale. Could he also be the young boy mentioned sailing from the Isle of Dawn?
- Desert Wind (Desert Wind):Comissioned by the Emir Rashid ben Daoud from the Southern Desert. Golden desert. Dervishes of Andrama. Ylaruam?
- Faithful Avenger (Devouted Spirit): Previous owners include the Paladin Jurrik who fought a Black Dragon and Lorista who fought against the Black Eagle Baron(!) - Karameikos
- Supernal Clarity (Diamond Mind) - Forged by Gityhanki smith named Veselka on the Astral plane before acquired by Reshar. Later stolen from the Temple of the Nine Swords by the Rakshasa Prince Khaziir-Thet. Then acquired by a swordsman named Radigan who returned it to Veselka before the two travelled to the ruins of the Temple of the Nine Swords.
- Kamate (Iron Heart) - Goblin/Hobgoblin blade owned by the Hobgoblin Kuyibet who escaped a horde of angry dwarves. Generic
- Eventide's Edge (Setting Sun) - see above
- Umbral Awn (Shadow Hand) - See above
- Unfettered (Stone Dragon) - A sword in the possession of a dwarf named Thungrim and his Goliath companion Khanithiak, who lived in slavery among Frost Giants. Norwold?
- Tiger Fang (Tiger Claw) - a warrior known as Khasparat wielded this blade. He lived in a village ruled by a Rajah. Sind comes to mind?
- Blade of the Last Citadel (White Raven) - This story features a land of Giants, Orcs, a Paladin named Iulian and his apprentice Terras. Too generic to say much.
NAME DESCRIPTION CANON SETTING ADAPTATION Ur-Thalddar Hobgoblin Temple where Reshar recieved his early training. Unknown Eberron? Temple of Nine Swords Sunspire Peaks Unknown Greyhawk? High Inquisitor of Tiamat Unknown Greyhawk? Ebon Tower and slew the demon Varrash-Kral Unknown Eberron? Darkvale Mind flayer infestation Unknown Greyhawk? Desert Wind (Desert Wind) Emir Rashid ben Daoud from the Southern Desert. Golden desert. Dervishes of Andrama. More details in Weapons of Legacy Unknown ? Faithful Avenger (Devouted Spirit) Connected to Black Eagle Baron Mystara : Karameikos Supernal Clarity (Diamond Mind) Forged by Gityhanki smith named Veselka Astral plane Kamate (Iron Heart) Hobgoblin Kuyibet who escaped a horde of angry dwarves. Unknown Mystara? Eventide's Edge (Setting Sun) Isle of Dawn Mystara Umbral Awn (Shadow Hand) Unknown Mystara (Thyatis)? Unfettered (Stone Dragon) A sword in the possession of a dwarf named Thungrim and his Goliath companion Khanithiak, who lived in slavery among Frost Giants. Unknown Mystara: Norwold? Tiger Fang (Tiger Claw) a warrior known as Khasparat wielded this blade. He lived in a village ruled by a Rajah. Unknown Mystara (Sind)? Blade of the Last Citadel (White Raven) Paladin named Iulian and his apprentice Terras. Unknown ?