Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Changeling, Zargosianby Jamie Baty
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 13 (+2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d6) or by weapon
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d6) or by weapon
Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Change shape, darkvision 60ft.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +8, Climb +5, Diplomacy +3, Disguise +8*, Gather Information +8, Hide +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +7, Spot +3
Environment: Any land
Organisation: Solitary, or Brood (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Medium) or By character class
Level Adjustment: +3
The undead-looking creature snarls at you, showing its needle-like teeth. Its body is almost skeletal. Its eyes seem to exude evil.
These evil humanoids were created by Zargosian sorcerers to act as servants, spies, and assassins. They are used to infiltrate the Milenian society.
A Zargosian changeling's normal form is a pale humanoid (about 5'-6" tall and 135 lbs) with baleful eyes, needle-like teeth and an almost skeletal physique. It is often thought to be undead, although it isn't.
Unlike doppelgangers, Zargosian changelings cannot detect thoughts. As a result, they have become master spies and will intensely study and gather information on the victim they plan to assume the identity of. They are masters of stealth and espionage.
Zargosian changelings live in a series of complex caves, tunnels and warrens in the Valley of Night. If encountered outside of the Valley, they are usually in the assumed forms of Milenian slaves, commoners or citizens, and on a mission of assassination and espionage.
In its natural form, a Zargosian changeling will attempt to separate and ambush its enemies, attacking with its bite. When in an assumed shape, it will fight in a manner consistent with the form assumed. A Zargosian changeling is proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons, and Light, Medium and Heavy armours and Shields.
Change Shape (Su): A Zargosian changeling can assume the shape of any Small, or Medium humanoid. It does not have to see its victim, but it must consume a bit of the victim's flesh in order to assume its form. In humanoid form, the changeling loses its natural attack. A Zargosian changeling can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a Zargosian changeling reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.
Skills: A Zargosian changeling has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide, Listen and Move Silently checks.
*When using its change shape ability, a Zargosian changeling gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.
Zargosian Changelings as Characters
Zargosian changelings often take levels rogue, and less frequently, ranger. Some very experienced changelings have been known to take levels in the assassin prestige class. Should a Zargosian changeling become a cleric, they almost always follow Nyx.
Zargosian changeling characters possess the following racial traits:
• +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
• Medium size.
• A Zargosian changeling's base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision: 60 feet.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Zargosian changeling begins with one level of monstrous humanoid, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +2, and Will +2.
• Racial Skills: A Zargosian changeling's monstrous humanoid level gives it skill points equal to 4 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide, Listen, and Spot.
• Racial Feats: A Zargosian changeling's monstrous humanoid level gives it one feat.
• +1 natural armour bonus.
• +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide, Listen and Move Silently checks. When using its change shape ability, a Zargosian changeling gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.
• Special Qualities (see above): Change shape
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Giant, Terran.
• Favoured Class: Rogue.
• Level adjustment +3.