Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Extent and expansion phases of the Milenian Empireby LoZompatore
If it could be of any interest, thanks to all your posts of the last few weeks I started updating a very old project of mine (dating back to 2007 and never published anywhere) about the extent and expansion phases of the Milenian Empire. It will cover the 1000 BC - 0 BC section of your timeline (with a few entries covering the first decades of AC era) and it will try to include all the (mostly fanon) information I know of. it will try to strictly adhere to Havard's map as of BC 600 and will include as cities all the ruins/settlements you and Havard added in your maps of northern Davania.
(Just to make a quick and incomplete reference list; maybe it may be of some help:
- HWR3 "The Milenian Empire", especially pages 2,3, 4, 44 of DM's manual and pagrs 24 and 25 of player's manual
- PWA III pages 21, 43 and 76
- DotE DM's Manual pages 4 and 67
- WotI background about Vanya, page 38
- HWQ1 "The Milenian Sceptre" adventure module, pages 6 and 33
- Dragon Magazine #247 about Caracasta, Simbasta and Fast Runners
- HW boxed set, DM's Manual page 69, the entry about the Kubitt Valley and the Post Cataclysmic Migration Map
- Already mentioned Havard and Laokong maps
- Already mentioned Milenian History by Michael Diehm
- Already mentioned description of settlements of the Addakian Sound by Geoff Gander
- Already mentioned Varellyan Timeline by Geoff Gander
- Background of Vanya
- Background of Gylgarid/Kiranjo
- Background of Bachraeus
- Info about Cathos and Vacros
- Rakasta history
- Bit of info about the Eye of Justice
- Fanon info about the Snartans in Milenian Empire which come from here
- Info about Telos Takshidi found here
- Inclusion of the Menami (which I would rename "Mezami") migration taken from here
- Short description of Arypt
The sheer amount of information is slowling me more than a bit, especially because not every piece of info is compatible with the rest.
Anyway, what I believe is that it is necessary to expand the Milenian borders far to the east (at least for a fraction of the Empire's storyline) to encompass the whole Jungle Coast and Northern Arypt, otherwise you'll have to retcon too much info especially about Vanya, the Pardasta/Simbasta, the Varellyan/Milenian interactions and the Snartans.
If you'd like to have a glance at my work in progress (90% fanon, but trying to reconcile all the above-mentioned info).
It is a no-names, no-legend, multi layered map with all layers shown in the same picture. I include a quick legend below just for information. Hopefully in the upcoming days I'll be able to go out with a set of maps showing the evolution of the Milenian Empire every 2-3 centuries apart.
Continuous lines: military campaign
Dotted lines: non-military campaign: colonization, migration, trade
Pale grey: Pardasta/Fast Runners
Dark grey: Simbasta
Pink: Vanya's Armies
Pale blue: Amazons incorporated into the Milenian Empire
Green: Brasol Amazons
Purple: Amossens (barbarians)
Yellow shaded area: Nithian sphere of influence in the 1000 BC - 0 BC timeframe (modified over time)
Pale red shaded area: Alphatian sphere of influence in the 1000 BC - 0 BC timeframe (modified over time)
Dark green shaded area: Varellyan sphere of influence in the 1000 BC - 0 BC timeframe